Wednesday, October 1, 2014

San Diego Zoo sketches!

Last week while visiting family in CA, I got to spend a few hours at the amazing San Diego Zoo. The place is huge! We barely made it through 1/3 of the place. Next time I'll have to make a visit to the wild animal park, too, haven't been in years.

ANYWHO, I thought I'd share some of the sketches that came out of that trip. The first place we stopped was the reptile house so much of the goodness happened there.



Tried to label the animals when I could for later reference - this guy was probably my favorite from the whole trip. 

Some of the snakes were downright adorable
This big orangutan was another favorite. He had this perfectly groomed-looking epic facial hair
He also would sit around and strike crime-boss type poses. Also note the bird with the awesome mohawk and name. I love crazy hairstyles on animals. 
The aviaries were another great section to visit.

Was losing steam at this point, but had to do some of the nutty flamingo poses on the way out. 

Fabulous zoo hat for the occasion. Also note the proper sketching stance - the more uncomfortable it is, the better.  

Zoo sketching is the best! Everyone should go to their nearest zoo and draw everything. We didn't even see half the zoo and I got to sketch some really amazing animals with so much personality.

Happy sketching!

No comments:

Post a Comment